If you are a service member/serving in the US military, JFK Airport in New York has a USO Lounge that you can use to relax and unwind before your flight. Having an extra hour or two to relax, grab a bite to eat, and use the free Wi-Fi can make the experience of flying much less stressful.
What is USO Lounge?
The United Service Organization (USO) is a nonprofit organization that serves members of the U.S. military, veterans, and their families. The USO currently has more than 200 locations worldwide, including this one at JFK Airport in New York. The lounge offers a comfortable place to relax before your flight and provides amenities such as free Wi-Fi, snacks and drinks, as well as TVs and charging stations.
On December 14th, 2021, the United Service Organizations (USO) held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to commemorate the opening of their largest Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) center–the second biggest in America. This state-of-the-art facility offers an introduction and assistance to those eager to join our nation’s Armed Services as they go through the application process.
Is there USO Lounge at JFK?
Yes, there is USO lounge at JFK where you can take a break. It is located in Terminal 5 Landside of JFK Airport near the Baggage Claim. The lounge has both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks that you can enjoy during your layover!
The USO is passionate about offering support and resources to those heroes who have valiantly served our country, however, due to limited space and funds we must prioritize providing aid for active-duty service members and their families. We are dedicated to ensuring that these incredible individuals receive all the help they need in order for them maintain honorable service.
In accordance with USO rules and regulations, USO Lounge at JFK open its doors to all Active/Guard/Reserve military personnel and their families.
In 2014, Jetblue donated this lounge to the USO, so that service members and their families would have a place to relax before or after their flights. Jetblue also sponsors exclusive events throughout the year for the lounge, such as movie nights and other special activities.
This USO lounge for military persons is located next to Jetblue Lounge in JFK’s Terminal 5.
USO Lounge Hours at JFK:
According to USO’s website, the JFK lounge opens at 9 am and closes at 5 pm Eastern Time. Make sure to plan your flight accordingly if you’re planning to use the lounge. On the Loungebuddy.com website, this lounge has been described as being open from 5 am to 11 pm ET.
Where is USO Lounge located at JFK?
The USO Lounge at JFK Airport is located in Terminal 5 Landside. This is the Google Maps address. Sitting conveniently outside of the security checkpoint at Terminal 5, the USO Center is located on the arrivals level for your ease and convenience.
Sleepinginairports.net website has listed hours of USO lounge operation at JFK as 6 am to 10 pm.
The exact address: John F Kennedy International Airport, Terminal 5 – Landside, Jamaica, NY 11430.
The USO Lounge offers an inviting atmosphere for all active members of the U.S. military and their loved ones at no expense! Make sure to take advantage of this unique opportunity and enjoy every moment spent with family and friends in a special place just for you.
What amenities are offered at USO Lounge?
- JFK USO Lounge offers an array of delectable beverages, from freshly brewed coffee to refreshing iced teas! Plus, their snack bar is the perfect place to grab something delicious and satisfying. They also have delightful snacks available for your convenience.
- Their comprehensive suite of services is designed to keep you connected, with CAC Readers, Charging Stations, Computers & Laptops, Phones, Printers and Tablets all fueled by our reliable Wi-Fi network.
- Unlock the world of interactive entertainment with multimedia and gaming! Whether you’re a fan of playing cards, PS4 games, or just chilling in front of the television streaming your favorite shows – they’ve got it all. With cable access to hundreds of channels and platforms, let’s get this party started!
- Make yourself at home with our array of comfort amenities, including air conditioning, a children’s play area, library and lounge – all stocked with complimentary toiletries.
- At the helpdesk, you can also get info and tickets. USO offers a range of services and information, including event tickets, sports tickets, flight time boards, hotel reservations and other helpful information.
Below is a snapshot of the amenities you can expect at USO Lounge in JFK that I got from USO’s website.
LOungebuddy.com has listed the following 9 amenities available at USO lounge at JFK;
- Flight Monitors
- Newspapers & Magazines
- Internet Terminals
- Printers & Copiers
Who can access USO Lounge at JFK?
All Active/Guard/Reserve military personnel and their dependents may enter the center with a valid military I.D., while unaccompanied minors aged 16 or above, having proper identification and an itinerary/boarding pass along with them, can also utilize this facility. Moreover, authorized users are allowed to sign in up to three guests with permission from the Volunteer on duty; however, they have discretion when permitting more than that for special occasions such as Gold Star Survivors’ visits too.
From USO’s guide, the following can access the lounge;
- Retirees and Dependents
- Veterans with VA Card denoting “Service Connected Disability” or “Purple Heart”
- Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Cadets
- Military Academy Cadets
- Officer Candidate School Candidates
- Recruits (with I.D. and orders) g. JROTC/Civil Air Patrol/ Sea Cadets
- Foreign Military
- Department of Defense Civilians on travel orders
- Those designated “Friends” of the USO by the Manager or Executive Director (First Responders, or those possessing business cards with notes or emails stating such)
Jamaica, New York 11430
My name is Alex Mutuma and I founded this blog, Airport LLC as a way to document and engage with clients in my travel consulting business. Airportllc.com is the only source of over 2,000 fun things flyers could do during layovers.
Over the past 7 years, I have designed and planned tour packages for hundreds of clients and have recently focussed on the mission of changing boring layovers to excellent mini-vacations by giving you the best suggestions on must-do activities when flying over different airports.
Next time you or your friend are looking for suggestions on what to do in some airport, remember Airport LLC or Airportllc.com. On this site, you’ll get the best suggestions available on the internet regarding hand-picked activities that will fulfill your airport experience.
I currently reside in New York City and have obtained a license to provide professional tour guidance at Airports in the US and across the world. Why should you listen to my suggestions? I have flown through more than 100 airports in the world and fortunately, I have pictures, stories, and tips to share with you regarding all the fun stuff you can do as you wait for your next flight.
Aside from gaining thousands of flying miles, I am also a travel consultant assisting clients with bookings and specifically advance tour bookings of things to do at airports when the layover is longer than 5 hours.
To make a 15-minute free things-to-do consultation with Alex, use my email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is only recommended for flyers with long layovers of over 5 hours. If your layover is 3+ hours, you can still reach out but we cannot guarantee the ideal package that will change your layovers to mini-vacations. I only support clients flying through US airports and a select number of cities across the world.
Name: Alex Mutuma
Profession: A professional travel consultant with a focus on airport activities to do during layovers
Phone: +1 945 348 889
Location: 322 Main Packway Street, Boston, US