Flying can be a stressful experience, especially when you have to deal with long layovers. There are many things that people do during those times, from going sightseeing or shopping to grabbing a bite to eat. One of the best ways for travelers on a layover to enjoy themselves is by exploring their destination city and getting out into nature. This blog will explore some of the different experiences available near Orlando International Airport for travelers looking to get away from the airport and explore Florida’s sunshine state!
1. Sightseeing in Orlando, Florida
2. Shopping in Orlando, Florida
3. Exploring nature near the airport
4. Eating at restaurants near the airport during a layover
5. Other activities to do while on a layover at OIA
Go Sightseeing Near Orlando Airport
Table of Contents
Orlando is a city in central Florida and part of the state’s famous “Sunshine State” region. Famous for its theme parks, Orlando has a ton to offer visitors who are interested in exploring nature or checking out interesting historical sites. Whether you’re an animal lover, history buff, Disney fanatic, or just enjoy spending time outdoors, Orlando has something for you to enjoy!
1. Disney World Orlando –
This is the most famous tourist attraction in all of Florida, and accordingly, one of the priciest. Located just ten minutes from OIA, Walt Disney World is an amazing experience that should be seen by every child at least once in their life. There are four different theme parks at Disney World Orlando: Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios! The parks are large and filled with amazing rides and attractions that everyone will enjoy. However, they also tend to be crowded in the day and early evening hours. If you’re looking for a more relaxing experience I would recommend getting tickets to one of the theme parks at either Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure, both located a little farther from the airport.
– If you want to explore wetlands where alligators and crocodiles call home, this is the place for you! This theme park has several different exhibits that put visitors right in the middle of Florida’s swamps and marshes. You will see gators up close in the park’s many shows, including one that features alligators jumping out of a lake to catch their dinner! The park also has zip lining opportunities, train rides, and an expansive wildlife preserve.
3. Bok Tower Gardens
– This is another great way to get in touch with nature near Orlando Airport. Located in the town of Lake Wales, about 30 minutes from OIA, Bok Tower Gardens features a beautiful garden built around a historic tower. This 61-acre site includes gardens, a 103 foot tall tower with an enchanting carillon inside, and even a small zoo! The gardens feature several different sculptures and attractions that are great for visitors of all ages, and it’s a great way for travelers to enjoy some sunshine during their layover!
4. Kennedy Space Center
– NASA buffs will love exploring the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, not far from OIA at all. If you’re looking for an interactive space museum or just want to see what America’s space program is all about, this is the place for you! Visitors to Kennedy Space Center can explore several different aspects of space exploration, including the history of NASA and getting a chance to look inside some amazing exhibits. Don’t forget to check out the Astronaut Hall of Fame while you’re there!
5. Wekiwa Springs State Park –
This park features beautiful forests and springs, which are the perfect combination for a relaxing experience. Wekiwa Springs State Park is another great place to enjoy nature and get in touch with Florida’s amazing wildlife. The park offers opportunities like canoeing and kayaking, hiking trails through the forests and around the springs, and even swimming in an area that was recently opened up to visitors! It’s a great opportunity for visitors to relax during their layover at the airport.
6. Universal Studios
– This is another major theme park near Orlando Airport, but it’s along the interstate closer to Tampa than Disney World. Visitors who are looking for something different will definitely enjoy checking out Universal Studios’ themed attractions and rides! The park is split into several different sections, each of which is themed off a popular movie like Jurassic Park and Despicable Me. There are also several different shows and attractions within the park that put visitors right in the middle of major motion pictures!
7. Islands Of Adventures
– This is another theme park near Orlando Airport, but this one features rides that let visitors explore the mystical worlds of Harry Potter and others! There are several different areas of Islands of Adventure, including an amazing Spiderman ride that puts you right in the middle of a battle with Spidey’s most dangerous enemies. Don’t forget to get your wand at Ollivander’s: Makers Of Fine Wands since this is also the only place in the park where you can experience Harry Potter’s favorite pastime.
8. Natural Bridge Caverns
– Located about an hour from OIA, this cavern tour is one of the best things to do near Orlando Airport. Visitors will get a chance to explore deep underground while learning about the history of these amazing geological formations! There are several different trails that lead visitors through the caverns, which are filled with remarkable rock formations. This is also a great opportunity to see some of Florida’s unique wildlife, including several kinds of bats.
9. St Augustine
– St. Augustine is easily one of the best places to visit near Orlando Airport because it has so much history! The first European settlement in North America was founded here, and that’s just the start of what makes this place awesome. Visitors to St. Augustine will get a chance to see forts like Castillo de San Marcos (one of the oldest still-standing forts in North America) along with other historical sites. There are also several different areas where visitors can explore or take in the gorgeous scenery.
10. Cocoa Beach
– Located just south of Orlando Airport at Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach is another great place to explore during a layover! Visitors to Cocoa Beach will enjoy beautiful white sand beaches, amazing surf and even some fantastic shopping opportunities. There are also several different amusement parks nearby like Ron Jon Surf Park, which is an amazing opportunity for visitors to try out some of Florida’s best surfing!
11. Cape Canaveral
– Last but not least, this space-themed area is another great destination that’s located near Orlando Airport. Visitors who want to explore the history of NASA should definitely check out the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. This attraction is home to the largest collection of rockets and spacecraft in the world, along with several other exhibits that highlight some of the most famous missions in American history. This complex also has a movie theater and IMAX so visitors can even enjoy a show while staying here! You may be able to get to Cape Canaveral from Miami Airport.
Shopping in Near Orlando Airport
Here are some of the best places to shop near Orlando Airport:
– Visit these stores and more when you shop at Topsham , Topsham.
– One of the best outlet malls near Orlando Airport is located in Sanford . Take a break from your trip and enjoy shopping at the Seminole Towne Center .
– There are also several specialty shops located in Orlando proper, including Fun & Culture , Winter Park.
You can also shop inside Orlando airport with shops including books, newsstands, beverley’s chocolate factory & more!
Other things to do near Orlando Airport
* Cruise the St Johns River – This historic river flows right by Orlando Airport and there are several different cruises you can take along it. The St Augustine area is also nearby if you’d like to make a day trip out of it.
* Visit Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! – This is only one of the many locations where you can visit this successful franchise, which also has locations in New York City and Myrtle Beach.
My name is Alex Mutuma and I founded this blog, Airport LLC as a way to document and engage with clients in my travel consulting business. Airportllc.com is the only source of over 2,000 fun things flyers could do during layovers.
Over the past 7 years, I have designed and planned tour packages for hundreds of clients and have recently focussed on the mission of changing boring layovers to excellent mini-vacations by giving you the best suggestions on must-do activities when flying over different airports.
Next time you or your friend are looking for suggestions on what to do in some airport, remember Airport LLC or Airportllc.com. On this site, you’ll get the best suggestions available on the internet regarding hand-picked activities that will fulfill your airport experience.
I currently reside in New York City and have obtained a license to provide professional tour guidance at Airports in the US and across the world. Why should you listen to my suggestions? I have flown through more than 100 airports in the world and fortunately, I have pictures, stories, and tips to share with you regarding all the fun stuff you can do as you wait for your next flight.
Aside from gaining thousands of flying miles, I am also a travel consultant assisting clients with bookings and specifically advance tour bookings of things to do at airports when the layover is longer than 5 hours.
To make a 15-minute free things-to-do consultation with Alex, use my email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is only recommended for flyers with long layovers of over 5 hours. If your layover is 3+ hours, you can still reach out but we cannot guarantee the ideal package that will change your layovers to mini-vacations. I only support clients flying through US airports and a select number of cities across the world.
Name: Alex Mutuma
Profession: A professional travel consultant with a focus on airport activities to do during layovers
Phone: +1 945 348 889
Location: 322 Main Packway Street, Boston, US