There’s no denying the fact that airports can be hectic and exhausting places, especially when you have a connecting flight or a long layover. That’s why having access to quality sleep facilities at an airport can make all the difference in your travel experience.
With that in mind, AirportLLC has taken on the task of ranking different airports based on their sleep amenities and services, using various metrics to determine which airports come out on top. In this expert article, we’ll delve into how AirportLLC conducts these rankings and what travelers can expect when it comes to finding a good night’s rest at different airports around the world.
The Importance of Sleep Facilities in Airports
Sleep facilities in airports have become increasingly important in recent years, as air travel continues to rise and layovers become more common. In fact, according to a survey conducted by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), airport amenities, including sleep facilities, are among the top priorities for travelers when choosing an airport. This is not surprising, considering that a good night’s rest can improve overall well-being and make the flying experience more comfortable.
Our 11 Metrics Used by AirportLLC to Rank Airports for Sleep Quality
AirportLLC uses a combination of metrics to determine the rankings of different airports when it comes to sleep facilities. These include:
- Availability of Innovative Sleep Technologies: Sleep pods, sleep suites or cabins are private, compact spaces where travelers can catch some rest in between flights. These are becoming increasingly popular in airports, and we take into account the number of sleep pods or cabins, pricing, period flexibility, and sleep amenities available at each airport.
- Access to Day Rooms: Similar to sleep pods or cabins, day rooms provide travelers with a private space to relax and rest during long layovers. However, day rooms are typically larger and offer amenities such as showers and comfortable seating areas. We look at the availability and quality of day rooms at each airport.
- Quality of Seating Areas: For travelers on a budget, having access to comfortable seating can make all the difference when it comes to getting some shut-eye in between flights. We take into account the number and comfort level of seating options available at each airport and whether the benches are sleep-friendly without armrests.
- Noise Level: A major factor that can disrupt sleep at airports is noise. AirportLLC considers the noise levels at different airports, taking into account factors such as announcements, construction, and proximity to runways.
- Complimentary Sleep Facilities: Free facilities suitable for resting such as reclining chairs or quiet rooms are greatly appreciated by travelers. AirportLLC looks at the availability and quality of complimentary sleep facilities at each airport. For example, Istanbul Airport has several reclining chairs while other Southern European counterparts have minimal reclining seats.
- Designated Rest Areas: In addition to free sleep facilities, some airports have designated rest areas with dim lighting, comfortable seating, and minimal noise. AirportLLC evaluates the number and quality of these designated rest areas at each airport.
- Location of Sleeping Spots: We take into account the location and accessibility of these spots, as well as whether they are comfortable and equipped with amenities such as charging ports.
- Airport Lighting: Bright lighting can make it difficult to fall asleep, especially for travelers with long layovers. AirportLLC looks at the lighting levels and takes into consideration any dimly lit areas or sleep pods available for travelers.
- Availability of Airport Hotels: Airports with hotels located right inside the terminals scored well compared to those without. In-airport hotels such as YotelAir make it easier for travelers to rest and avoid the hassle of leaving the airport.
- Safety: The safety of sleeping in an airport is also taken into consideration when scoring any particular airport for sleep quality. We look at factors such as security presence, CCTV surveillance, and overall crime rates in the area.
- Reviews from Travelers: Last but not least, we also aggregate and analyze hundreds of reviews from travelers regarding their experience with sleep facilities at different airports. These reviews provide valuable insights into the quality of sleep facilities, as well as any areas for improvement.